Now I want you to think of a person that has been successful in his/her life.
What person or picture did pop into your mind?
Did you think of a happy hippy or a swell and successful businessman?
– Are those two stereotypes necessarily contradictions when it comes to talk about success in life?
Now think for a while about the picture that popped into your mind – why do you think this picture popped up? How do you define success? Does success look the same for everybody? What persons, characters and characteristics do you associate with success? And do you always connect success to something job-related?
I encourage you to find out how success looks for you and then do everything within your power to make that picture come alive for you.
What about happiness?
If I ask you to think about a happy person do you then think about a different person from when I asked you to think about successful person?
How well connected are happiness and success in your mind? Does happiness and success always go together? Are they contradictions? Which comes first?
As I have said before, I (and not only I but many others) believe that happiness comes before success.
If you want success you have to start looking at yourself and your level of happiness – by working on your happiness you will have more success.
If you are going to wait for success before you allow yourself to be happy you might have to wait a while, at least longer than if you just let yourself enjoy happiness before you have some stereotype-success.
I encourage you to find out what happiness means to you and what makes you happy and then do everything within your power to make that come true for you.
Few tips for happiness and success:
- Enjoy each day, yesterday is gone and tomorrow hasn´t arrived
- Live each day in a way that it is good enough to be your last
- Take good care of yourself, in every way, mentally, physically, socially etc.
- Be grateful
- Give others a hand, be helpful
- Know your own boundaries
- Set inspiring and challenging goals for yourself
- Enjoy the ride towards your goals