Best way to increase salaries is to start knowing how much you are worth
On several occasion people, that I have worked with or that I have been coaching, have asked me to help them prepare themselves before negotiating on their salaries.
Usually I start by asking them “how much are you worth?” – usually I have to wait quite some time for the answer…
– If you don´t know the answer to that question then how can you expect your boss or your client to know.
You also have to know that your employer or your client does not pay you for the hour or for the month – but for the value you bring to that hour or that month.
Worth is a matter of value.
If you want higher salaries, or to be paid more, you have to create more value.
How much value are you creating?
Increase salaries by increasing your value
Money is a part of your 360° Success, at least as an energy to help you do the things you want to do in your life, your community, your relationships and more – not necessarily to have the fattest bank account since we all know that the most valuable things in life are not things, and cannot be bought for money.
But at least you should be paid what you are worth – and you will be paid according to the value your employer (or client) sees in you.
Following points can help you to increase your value:
- Bottom-line – Care for the bottom-line, care for how your workplace or your client is doing, find ways to increase income, cut cost, make customers more happy, how to be more social responsible. Think about your effect on the bottom-line, think of you as a resource, how valuable is that resource to the workplace, how up to date is that resource, are you working on your own development, learning new things?
- Time – Think more about your performance and what you deliver each day than how many hours you put in everyday, think more about working smart than working hard and arriving first and leaving last is not in fashion anymore. Use your time efficiently and prioritize your assignments according to the goals of the organization.
- Relationships – Be a good coworker, be the one that makes everybody happy when you show up, be supportive and good listener, help your boss (if you have one – or else it is you) succeed. Talking negatively of others who are not around is not cool and says more about you than anything else, it diminishes your credibility and affects the trust people have in you. Show up for get-to-togethers, take part in meetings, let people notice you.
- Brand – Think of yourself as a brand, what do you want to be known for and how do you want others see you? Be a professional; it is a matter of your appearance, how you talk, how you grow and develop yourself. Work on your attitude, bring something extra to the table, take extra steps, help your coworkers or clients, find solutions instead of only pointing towards problems, be the voice of solutions, good morale, encouragement, constructive feedback and support. Work on your Self-Leadership.
- Have a life – Researches show that people that spend their time outside of work doing something totally different than think about work are more creative, better at finding solutions, better coworkers and more. Use your time to nurture your personal relationships, take good care of your health, take part in your community, get to know you neighbors, work on your happiness – this way you will show up more energetic at work.
to check out my products and programs that will help you sharpen your 360° Success, in life and work.
Please feel free to share this blog on your social media by using the sharing buttons below.
Please share your own tips and tricks regarding success and wellbeing, that might help me or others, in the comments section below.