I don’t know how big of a sports fan you are but now I want to ask you in what division you play?
I will assume that you are an ambitious individual with high goals, both for your private and professional life.
Ambitious goals don’t necessarily mean that you are to become a CEO or a president, just that you are going to do what needs to be done so you will definitely get where you have set your mind to, wherever that is, so there will be no regrets or bitterness in your 70 year old birthday party.
The first step is of course that you decide where you want to go or what you want to accomplish in your life. Some people measure success by titles, others with money but many people do that simply by feeling good about themselves and their challenges each time.
Now I’m going to assume that you want to play in the top division, whatever that means for you.
What do you have to do if you are not in that division and/or what do you have to do to keep yourself in that division?
- What are you reading and learning? Are you reading constructive and educational material which makes you stronger in your private and professional life? Do you ensure that you keep up with all the changes that are happening around you, for example concerning technology, or are you falling behind? Some say that status quo doesn’t exist so either you are getting stronger or you are getting weaker and therefore you fall behind in the evolution.
- What players out there are you looking at and monitoring to learn from? If you have some role model, or you know someone who is doing something that you would like to do, it could be good for you to look at what this individual is doing differently from what you are doing. What do you need to change to reach your goal? Is it your mindset, your behavior, your habits or something else?
- What word or words do you use when you describe yourself and your actions and activities? When you talk about yourself do you for an example say that you “nag” or that you “point things out in a positive and constructive way”, suggesting a solution? Use positive and constructive words when you think and talk about yourself because how much you like yourself affects to what extent others like you. How much others like you affect the success you will have since communications are very important in becoming successful.
- With whom do you play? Do you surround yourself with positive, solution oriented and ambitious people or do you participate in discussions with groups who look more at the negative sides of every issue, complaint and argue but never reach any solution and never move forward in their lives?
- How do you appear to others? Are you someone who people seek to be close to and work with because of good communications, willingness to cooperate and mental stability which allow you to work under pressure. Or are you an individual who makes people happy if you are not around since you are not adding anything to that group which you belong to or the people around you?
- How well do you take care of yourself? How well do you take care of your physical, mental and social health? How is your state and how do you look, does it represent ambition and self-esteem? Does it show that you are an individual who takes good care of yourself and that you really mind? Does it show that you are an individual who is interesting and is working to strengthen yourself and succeed in your private and professional life?
I want to encourage you to take a look at how you can behave like a player in the division that you want to play in and if you want to go up a division, or keep yourself in current division, what you have to do and if you possibly have to change something that you do.
It can be useful to have an ally, good friend, family member or a coach who keeps you on track on the journey and helps you to get wherever you want to go. Don’t forget to enjoy the journey, that is as important as reaching your destination.