In some of my lectures and presentations I talk about the importance of self-confidence both for success in life, however you define success, and for quality in life in general.
I‘m not talking about the kind of self-confidence where people are so arrogant or full of themselves that they are never ready to accept criticism on themselves, see the good in others or that they go around they way that it rains in their nose.
I’m talking about the kind of self-confidence where we are confident about ourselves and what we want to stand for, the kind of self-confidence where we enjoy being ourselves.
Having self-confidence is necessary to be successful, both in private and professional life, and for one´s own happiness and well being.
If you don´t feel good about yourself, if you don’t believe in yourself, if you don’t enjoy yourself and all of the things you are capable of then you can’t expect that from others.
You can train and strengthen self-confidence like a good muscle and you have many ways to do that, here are few exercises that can help:
- Your inner voice. Increase your awareness of the conversations that you regularly have with yourself in your own head. These conversations influence your identity and self-confidence. If you find yourself being patronizing yourself then I would like to ask you to stop that right now. There are enough obstacles in life, both in private and professional life, so please stop adding to them with your negative talk.
- Your own achievement. Increase your awareness on all of the things you have accomplished and all the good things that you have done, both in private and professional life. Not necessarily to run around and boast about it but rather to remind yourself – remind yourself of what you have accomplished and what you are really capable of. Too many people think more about what they have yet to do and reduce their energy by thinking like that and then a list of accomplishments and achievements can be good to boost your energy to keep on working on where you have set your mind to. You could even surprise yourself when you start looking at all of this in a context and in one list. I´m sure you have done a lot more than you realize.
- Show gratitude. One of the best things you can do for your own happiness and self-confidence is to show gratitude. It strengthens positive and constructive energy and there is seldom or never too much of such an energy. When you can see the joy in others when you show gratitude and/or praise for small and big things, it triggers wellbeing. Grateful people often feel better about themselves and it strengthens their self-confidence.
- To look at the good things. Train yourself in looking more at the good and the positive, about you and with others. Remind yourself of all the good things about yourself that you can be happy about. Look at all the good things about the people around you, your friends, family and colleagues. Find the joy in everything you have and think less of the things that you possibly don’t have. Tame yourself to look at the positive and you will become more positive and therefore better prepared to deal with the unexpected or things that otherwise could drag you down.
- Learn new things. Think about how you can develop yourself to keep up with the development in your surroundings. What knowledge do you want to seek or maintain, what personal skills do you want to strengthen? The ways you can go about to learn new things are numerous but learning new things and developing yourself makes you stronger and more confident about yourself.
- Take good care of you. You as an individual are a victory. It should not be taken for granted that you exist or that you are in good health, physically and mentally. Take good care of you and nourish yourself in the best possible way, both your body and your spirit. Think about how you nourish and strengthen your body and also think about how you nourish your spirit.
Now I want to encourage you to work on your self-confidence – that is the key to so many things in life.
I have blogged before about how we can have more success only by changing the way we talk to ourselves. Please take a look at that and more blogs here on my homepage.