Every year “The Benefit Society of Children with disabilities” in Iceland comes out with a new “Globe of Goodwill”.
The Globe is a handmade blown-glass ornament, decorated with art from different artists every year, and every edition is limited. Every piece is a beautiful work of art and a delightful collector’s piece.
I have been collecting these ornaments and have one from every year they have come out, except for 2011, from that year I have two! That year The Globe was decorated with art by Yoko One. The decoration was a quote by her that says “Draw Your Own Map”. I absolutely love this quote and wanted one to have at home and one to have at my office.
I know that Yoko Ono owns a Smiler-necklace (remember The Smiler I recently told you about; www.smiler.is. The Smiler represents a lot of things but above all it reminds us of the fact that we can create our lives.
I am drawn to all these reminders of the fact that I can draw my own map and that I can create my life and I want to share my interpretations of those facts to you.
I think too many people are stuck in their past, especially if their past has some less than pleasant memories. They give their past the power to hold them back in the present. They use their past as an excuse or explanation for why their future cannot be any better or more than they are already living.
I do hope that you are not one of those people!
Our past may have affected us or shaped us in some way but our past does not have to be our future, unless we let it.
But no matter if your past is full of pleasant memories or not – your future is up to you!
- How do you want your future to be?
- Who do you want to be in your future – in your private life and in your professional life?
- What are you going to do to make your future the way you want it?
Now here is your homework:
- Write down what you want in your life and how you want your future to be. What do you want to do in your private life and in your professional life? Who do you want to be? Whom do you want to be with and around? Where do you want to be?
- Write down your strengths and your opportunities. What do you have that will help you to make everything in step 1 come true?
- Write down any obstacle or hindrances you might be dealing with. Now find out how you can work your way around those possible obstacles or hindrances – don´t let them stop you!
- Make a decision. How much does all of this mean to you. What are you willing to do to make your dreams come true and your vision to become your reality? What would you regret, when you are having your 70 year old birthday party, if you didn´t do.
- Put your decisions into actions. Decisions are nothing if not put into actions; draw your own map and create your own life!
If you need support with this homework, having a coach might help.
I have blogged before where I asked you what doors you want to open, please check it out and other blogs here at my website.