You, me, Sheryl Sandberg (COO of Facebook) and many more
My guess is that you have already heard or read of the fact that a lot of people, no matter how successful they are, according to various measures, tend to fight self-doubt every now and then.
It is not something that should make you feel better, other people feeling low, but good knowing, when this hits you, that you are not alone and that this is something that happens to everybody – CEOs, lawyers, musicians, carpenters, judges, entrepreneurs, actors, teachers, parents, you and me.
How to diminish the draining feeling of self-doubt
And as you have heard or read about this fact you have probably also heard or read about various ways to fight this – but here is a list of things that have helped me, and #3 is my favorite (I´ll tell you why below):
- Do as actors do, go to your emotions bank and think about a moment where you felt like you had it all, like you were on the top of the world. Re-create that feeling and really step into it. Stand tall and proud of yourself. Think about all your achievements and successes. See yourself as you want others to see you.
- Make every day count. Do something every day that makes you feel good about yourself, something regarding your health, appearance, relationships, career or other. Write down a list of possible things to do, in all aspects of your 360° Success, and do at least one a day.
- Come up with your boosting quote to use when you feel low. Take one in everyday, like you take your vitamins, this is just as important!
I have practiced this for several years when I feel that I´m slipping and this is the best and quickest way to get a hold of yourself and keep going – going for everything you know deep inside of yourself that you are capable of. Your vision, your dreams, everything that makes your heart sing, whether in your work or private life.
Here are some of my favorite quotes, that I use on a regular basis:
- All your behavior is shaped by who and what you think you are
- Change your thoughts and you change your world
- You don’t have to be great to start, but you have to start to be great
- If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.
- People do not wander around and then find themselves at the top of Mount Everest
- If you want to be treated like a rock-star, act like a rock-star
- Aim for the moon, even though you miss you will end up among the stars
- Instead of asking you “what if I fail” – ask yourself “what if I fly”, what if I succeed? What would happen, how would I feel, am I willing to give it a try? Give yourself the permission to skip perfectionism and to have a go at your Everest, again and again.
- Remember to choose. Choose your attitude. Choose your reactions. Choose how you use your time. Choose whom you associate with. Choose your daily habits. Choose your Everest. Choose to make some steps every day. Choose to live the life you want for yourself.
You may need some time and practice, to get a good grip on your self-doubt but I can offer you some great tools and good support for 7 weeks if you take my home study program, called
“So Now What? How to Change Your Life into something Even Better”